Yesterday I talked about some of the heated situations you run into with res life. In order to balance the negative with some positive, here is a list of awesome things that make my job well worth it!
1. You can leave a positive impact on a student's life!
2. You get paid to play games with students sometimes.
3. You are surrounded by many extroverted people who accept you for who you are.
4. The benefits package is amazing.
5. If you ever leave res life, all of your skills are transferable into other jobs...crisis management, supervisory skills, budgeting, assessment, working with people, counseling/mediation, teaching, event planning, etc. I have them all!
6. Seeing students learn life skills and make life-long friends.
7. Free admission to athletic events, backstage tickets to concerts, and free trips as a chaperon.
8. You can teach a college course.
9. You gain a second family with your staff.
10. You can be an adviser for any organization you want on campus.
11. You get to plan fun events AND attend them!
12. Pizza, lots and lots of pizza.
13. You never know what adventures are in store for you. Everyday is something new.
14. Attending professional conferences and additional classes are important to help you grow.
15. You work on a college campus, there is always something going on that you can do.
16. Technology is an important part of the job (especially Facebook).
17. Student Affairs is a quickly growing field, lots of job security.
18. Work attire can range from work out gear to a full suit. It may also include weird costumes!
19. You get an office, but you are not chained to your desk.
20. It's not weird to bring out coloring books when a staff member had a hard day.
21. The students genuinely care about you.
22. You genuinely care about the students.
23. Although you may be single, you are never alone.
24. Depending on your mood, your work can be organized and administrative or a creative outlet.
25. You develop close relationships with your coworkers, students, supervisors, and staff.
26. If you run into someone from res life at another school, they can still easily relate to you.
27. You quickly learn how to fix blown fuses, jump cars, and professionally answer the phone/emails.
28. Your supervisors are often the most kind people you will ever run into!
29. You know how to handle conflict and often become the peacekeeper.
30. You're always aware what music is currently popular, what movie is a must see.
Although these are just a few reasons why I love res life, there are still many more. So tell us, what part of your job do you love? Leave a response in the comments section below!